[Sca-cooks] Salted lemons

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:42:53 PDT 2009

I agree that the salt is an excellent preservative.  There are many things
that are preserved in salt and nothing else and they do not get refrigerated
(or didn't before refrigeration was available)  In the U.S. of A. we are a
culture of people very touchy about food safety.  Things I do having done
some research and having lived all over the world make others twitch.

I made preserved/salted lemons and left them on the counter and they were
fine.  I did not "can" them with either a water bath or under pressure.
Just lots of lemons and lots of salt.  Let them sit, added more lemons and
more salt until the jar was stuffed.  Then just let them sit.

Once we opened it to use we put it in the fridge.  Figured the constant
exposure to air from opening/closing might do something unpleasant if we
kept them out.  Nobody has ever gotten ill from these lemons.

Note:  When we use the lemons we always rinse them and even sometimes soak
them for a while.

My opinion is to open one of the jars, take out a lemon, rinse it and give
it a try - it should be salty but should not taste "off".

Good luck

shoshana