[Sca-cooks] P B & J

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 26 15:29:57 PDT 2009

Judith Epstein wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2009, at 5:02 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:
>
>> Judith Epstein wrote:

>>> Remind me again, if I invite you to dinner.
>>
>> The thing is, I'd be cringing with embarrassment if you quizzed me
>> about "why" I didn't eat something, and it's wildly unlikely I'd say
>> any such thing. I might be willing to have that kind of conversation
>> with my close friends, but that's *it*.  If someone grilled me about
>> what I did and didn't eat at a meal, I'd be reluctant to dine with
>> that person again.
>
> As a host, it's very difficult to invite someone to dinner, but have
> them give me no help at all in making them a meal they can enjoy. I
> don't need to know everything about your life. Just tell me "I can't
> eat members of the onion family or the pepper family." I don't need to
> know why, I don't need to hear the novel of your life. Just help me to
> make sure that when you get to my house, you'll be presented with a
> meal that you can eat, instead of having to go hungry.

It is wildly unlikely that I'd go hungry.  I've been eating in other
people's homes essentially forever, and I have not encountered a meal I
couldn't (or wouldn't) eat.  At most, there has been an occasional dish
that I haven't eaten.

> Of course, if you don't tell me in advance what you can't eat, and I
> cook something and you can't eat it, it's your own fault for not being
> up front with me -- but I'm not going to feel bad about that in the
> least, because I NEVER ask someone over without also asking them about
> their restrictions. And if you don't tell me what they are, and then
> you can't eat what I give you (or won't; I'm assuming you won't
> enlighten me as to why you haven't touched your dinner, since you
> didn't warn me about your dietary needs)... well, you won't get asked
> back for a meal.

I don't have "restrictions" or particular "needs"- I just have a modest
number of dislikes.  I might make more of it if I were actually allergic
or something.  As it is, I'm not the least bit bothered that I don't
like *every* dish at *every* meal; I certainly never go hungry because
of it. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that my hosts forego cooking
something they (or other guests) like because I don't care for it.  I
don't know why you're so wound up about it.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?