[Sca-cooks] Best cookbook for new SCA cooks- long

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Aug 27 12:43:03 PDT 2009

Thoughts on Cookbooks 2009

We have tackled this question many times in the past, of course.

Actually having always been the lady who tracked down, made lists,
loaned in, read, and actually spent the money and bought cookbooks, I’ve
been recommending and doing lists and sessions for the Society for most
of my 36 years in this organization. That was long before I became a
librarian with a degree, but not before I started working in the
university library.

Are there general books on medieval and Renaissance cookery that I think
that everyone should own. I can compile such a list, such as Doc has
already done. But the sticking point quite frankly to any list is money
and passion. If money is no object and the person really wants to buy
cookery books, I can quickly assemble a list that will cost only a few
hundred dollars. Most can be easily obtained from Devra. Then lets spend
some more money and add on the reference volumes and histories of food
that go along with the cookbooks. That’s a few hundred dollars more.
Pretty soon, the two lists combine and the total is approaching
$600-$700 plus. If one reads a foreign language and wants to buy
facsimile books or academic volumes of original language manuscripts,
tack on a few hundred dollars more and a waiting period during which
time one has to seek and wait on those volumes to arrive. Plan to spend
a few dollars more for the good dictionaries too.

What one can do of course is take the list or lists and buy what only
matters to you in your circumstances. Choose for instance English
cuisine and just buy the books in that area. Or chose French or Middle
Eastern. Or choose French and English post 1500. Or choose Italian. (The
new edition of Scappi is quite marvelous; it also costs $95.00.)

Or choose general medieval and buy those volumes that will provide you
with a beginning place, recipes that are already worked out, and a
bibliography for further exploration. Want to just bake? Buy just those
books on baking and pastry or bread history. Narrow the scope, in other
words. What is it that one wants to explore in cookery and what sort of
dishes does one want to cook? Buy books for those interests.

I think one of the stickiest questions that goes unspoken and unanswered
is “Quite honestly, how well do you cook?” If you really don’t cook,
then perhaps what you need are some basic general cookbooks that will
get you started and one or two basic medieval cookbooks. Medieval
cookery is not like watching a “Top Chef” challenge or an episode of
“Chopped.” Starting with an actual medieval recipe and getting to the
table with a dish that actually reflects the original recipe takes
talent, a culinary skill set, and lots of bookwork. It will also
probably take numerous tries. (Big hint: keep a notebook and record
changes and amounts as you go along.)

There are ways to cut the costs. You can borrow volumes and make Xerox
copies of selected recipes. Also one can search for and buy used copies.
And of course one can do, has I have been advocating for thirty plus
years now: make your list and buy over time. Ask that gifts be cookbooks
from your list that you don’t already own. And use the internet and use
it well. There are dozens of sources that are online these days. I am
afraid that we are moving into a time where people will never buy a
cookbook. Cookery will be just “googling” it.

But in the end, I am in the process of creating and writing up a new up
to date list of culinary resources for the new Society member. It will
be done in a few days, hopefully. I really prefer the one on one session
where the person can be queried about what they can afford and what
their interests are. I think it works best, but this publication also
wants a list. So I am creating that list based upon my TI article of a
few years back.

In terms of authors, you really can’t go wrong with Peter Brears,
Constance Hieatt, or C. Anne Wilson. And add in Ken Albala and Ivan Day
and Terence Scully.

For a single book-- Cooking and Dining in Medieval England by Brears is
new and expensive. Cheaper starting volumes would be :Pleyn Delt and The
Medieval Kitchen. Both are in paper and both are available as used volumes.

If you need a specialized list of some sort, just ask me.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae

(this mini article copyright JK Holloway 2009)