[Sca-cooks] i BEG OF YOU, PLEASE GET TO THE POINT

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 27 14:09:06 PDT 2009

Suey wrote:
>I was traveling yesterday AFTERNOON ONLY and I had six messages from
>SAC when I returned, which I am still trying to wade through...
SNIP
>Perhaps instead of quoting six messages at a time you could just
>remind us who know how to read what we are talking about, in which
>century and a brief explanation, we are not here to dedicate our
>whole day to you waiting for you to get to the point! In that I am,
>mind you, I am not pointing at anyone at all, on the contrary I
>totally thank you all for all your brilliance in general who know
>how to briefly get to the point!

I think part of the problem is that TOO MANY people are TOP POST
WITHOUT EDITING.

Did anyone notice that i edited Suey's message to include only the
parts i felt were relevant to my reply? How hard is that to do!?!?!?
Really!!!

Cheez, guyz, it only takes a second or two to edit. Don't just keep
top posting so the messages pile up within each message, and reading
becomes a painful chore.

I wonder if folks doing all their e-mail on cell phones are totally
unable to edit? Or if (whine) it's just too hard (/whine) If it's too
hard, maybe you should save posting to the list when you're on a
computer and save e-mail by phone for urgent stuff.

Now, onto a personal revelation:
I EDIT THE DIGESTS i receive. My daughter thinks i'm obsessive
compulsive for that. Yes, folks, i'm that crazy. And that is largely
because PEOPLE WHO TOP POST WITHOUT EDITING are DRIVING ME CRAZY, and
i was already close enough to walk. Please edit!!!!
Please:
- remove redundantly redundant messages - I'm ferkin' sick of seeing
a "yeah, too" posted over FIVE, count 'em, FIVE quoted and requoted
message. Dudes and dudettes, despite what Jaclyn Susan wrote, once
really can be enough;
- sig lines, as nice as some are, do not need to be quoted unless
they are the topic of the reply;
- all the repeatedly repeated list footers... dammit, i already KNOW
this is the SCA-Cooks list, how many times do i need to see the
footers repeated repeated repeated in a message;
- all the excessive headers - some messages say, "On date, day, hour,
name (e-mail address) wrote:", and then the entire message header is
repeated line for line. Whoa, snip that, please!

Editing is usually possible in web mail. It isn't always obvious, but
it is usually an option.

This redundantly reiterating repeatedly is not only a pain for Digest
readers, it can be quite annoying to single message readers too.

someone sometimes called Urtatim
perpetually annoyed when people won't edit...