[Sca-cooks] food likes and dislikes and ettiquette

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 27 16:45:48 PDT 2009

Lisa wrote:

>We've actually discussed this subject many times in the past, just in
>different versions.  Relating it to Period feasts at an SCA event, it is the
>responsibility of the individual to contact the cook if there are any
>dietary issues that may need to be addressed.  However, it is the
>responsibility of the cook to make available an (at minimum tentative) menu
>enough in advance that feastgoers can contact them regarding dietary issues.

Not necessarily.  I consider it the responsibility of feastgoers to
contact the cook (or steward, or booking agent) about their food issues
before the feast, but I pretty much never provide a menu in advance.
It's not the norm here to publish ahead.  It *is* the norm here for all
feast-goers to pre-book.

>I get really frustrated in our area and typically don't bother to attend
>feasts at our local events.  The last 3 events I've attended where a feast
>was served, the menu was posted a week before the event, one of them, the
>DAY of the event.  In my opinion, that's not a timely posting to address
>dietary problems.

See comments above.  If I know there are dietary issues, I will make
sure that either those affected get a good and varied meal or suggest
alternate arrangements.

I think this is probably easier on the people with dietary issues than
to expect them to ring up and ask for modifications after they've seen
the menu.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,