[Sca-cooks] Onions - chopped

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 29 14:27:07 PDT 2009

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> How many cups of chopped onions does one large-ish yellow onion make?

This is fun.

WikiAnswers says: The web references vary and show medium onions as 3/4
to 1 cup chopped and large onions as 1 to 1.5 cups chopped.

There is as I suspected a National Onion Board
http://www.onions-usa.org/

They say:
A medium onion is 2 inches to 3 and one quarter inches for yellow, red
or white onions.

*How many cups will 1 medium onion yield?*

    One medium onion equals about 1 cup chopped onion.
---------------------------
    This source at
    http://www.breakfast-and-brunch-recipes.com/foodequivalents.html

    *Onions*

    8 green onions sliced= 1 cup
    4 green onions sliced = 1/2 cup one half cup
    1 medium onion = 1/2 cup chopped one half cup
    1 large onion = 3/4 to 1 cup chopped .75-1 cup given

    and here we have these amounts given:

    Onions, green w/tops 	1 bunch 	5 to 8
    1 cup sliced
    Onions, white or yellow 	1 small 	3 oz
    1/3-1/2 cup chopped one third to one half
    Onions, white or yellow 	1 med 	4-5 oz
    1/2-1/3 cup chopped (one half-one third)
    Onions, white or yellow 	1 lb 	2 large/3 med
    2 to 2 1/2 cup chopped

    http://southernfood.about.com/library/info/blequivo.htm

    ---------
    I suspect that WikiAnswers is pretty close.

    You should stress that they test the recipe and record how many cups
    they are getting
    out their onions, I suppose.

    Johnnae