[Sca-cooks] Spices, Spice Names

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 29 15:42:18 PDT 2009

Before you do all the work, you might insist they narrow down the language
to English or Italian or Latin or German or French.
Speaking as a reference librarian, I have this feeling they may in fact
not know
what they want or what it is that they can use it for when they get it
handed to them.

Two fifteenth-century cookery-books is up on Google Book in full view
which means
that you can can cut and paste the full glossary out of it and use it.

The Middle English Dictionary MED is up online and you can cut and paste
from it too.
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/

You could cross check with Gernot Katzer’s entries at:
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/
He includes various names in languages other than English.

Medieval herbs are also here
http://www.gardenhistoryinfo.com/medieval/medievalherbs.html

and we have
MEDIEVAL CULINARY HERBS & SPICES
by Mestra Rafaella d'Allemtejo, OL (rafaella at easystreet.com)
Culinary Ithra, Saturday April 24, A.S. XXXVIII (2004)
http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:PFyuDMqfuqcJ:www.fridayvalentine.com/rafaella/medieval_spices.pdf+medieval+spices+and+herbs+list&hl=en&gl=us
www.fridayvalentine.com/rafaella/*medieval*_*spices*.pdf

Hope this helps again,

Johnnae