[Sca-cooks] warning vs. threat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 11 17:58:25 PDT 2009

Master Cariadoc replied to me with:

> One correction. The lady's father does NOT have his Laurel yet. The
> King has apparently just threatened that he ever wants one he needs
> to reel in his unruly daughter. So there isn't a problem with the
> Crown removing a Peerage, which apparently can't be done except by
> the BoD.

The current crown can't prevent a future peerage either. But it's
possible that the comment was a warning rather than a threat--a
description of likely consequences, given general sentiment in the
kingdom among current peers and likely future sovereigns.

If so, it does not necessarily reflect badly on the king--only on the
kingdom.
-------------

I guess I'm missing something, then. I would equate "threat" and
"warning" as being the same thing.

For example, what is the difference between warning you that if you go
over 70 MPH I'm going to give you a ticket different from a threat
that if you go over 70 MPH I'm going to give you a ticket?

Or are you considering a threat more personal and than a warning?

Again, I am relaying this information second (or third) hand and it is
possible I'm not getting small nuances.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com