[Sca-cooks] Children's eating habits

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 13:49:41 PDT 2009

Judith wrote:
> I can't remember my opinion being asked, or my "no, I won't eat that"
> being tolerated. It was, and is, considered extremely rude (at least,
> where I grew up) to refuse to try something, unless it went against
> your health needs (allergies and that) or your religious restrictions.
> Rude, as in, "the eldest son wouldn't try the peas, and he's not
> allergic, so we won't be inviting anyone in that family over again."
> The theory being that if a child said no, it was because his parents
> hadn't taught him respectful behavior. It's probably just as well I
> don't have children, because I'm sure someone would assume I was an
> abusive mother if I said this while being in charge of a child. But
> when friends come over and someone says "No, thank you" to a dish I
> know they CAN eat, I can't help but think "How rude."
I am with her! BUT when daughter was three she invited a two year old
and a three year to lunch. Our maid served us in the main dining room.
The luncheon took two hours. It took the two year old one hour and fifty
five minutes to eat the first and second courses and five minutes to eat
ice cream for dessert. When she finished I told her I made a mistake in
the menu. I should have served  ice cream for first, second and third.
She was delighted with that idea!

Daughter then invited a four year old. She took a seat in front of the
cocktail food and proceeded to eat the entire plate. We were so
surprised we did not stop her. When she finished I invited the family
into the dining room for lunch. She confessed she thought the meal had
been served in the den! I must say we did not invite her back, not for
her but for her parents' lack of teaching the poor thing. Her father is
a count.
Suey