[Sca-cooks] Salted lemons

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:32:36 PDT 2009

Urtatim's recipe reminded me:

Last spring (after my tagine inquiry), I made up a few, small jars of salted lemons - just lemons packed with salt, nothing else added.  Then I put them aside and forgot about them.  They've been sitting at room temperature on a shelf in my kitchen four about four months now.

I did not process them in a water bath or do anything else to them.  Are they still safe to eat, or should I pitch them?  They have not changed color, nor have the lids swollen nor is there any seepage.  Logic says salt+citric acid = ok, but paranoia says don't use them.

Any canning experts out there?  I only know about canning things with sugar.

Talana