[Sca-cooks] Digest? or Individual Messages?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 27 14:24:44 PDT 2009

I joined this list over 10 years ago, before attending my first event
in The West. (i'd been going to events when i lived in Caid in 1988,
and i'd been to events in Berkeley in the late 60s or early 70s).

Originally i got this list as individual messages. My e-mail client
is set to sort by date and topic, so it groups all messages on a
topic consecutively. Whatever topic has the most recently posted
message ends up where i'll see it first.

I went on a month long trip, leaving two days after cooking a feast
in December 2000. I would have very limited Internet access in
Morocco and Spain in Dec. 2000-Jan. 2001, and i didn't want my
mailbox to get too full and start bouncing messages. I switched
SCA-Cooks to Digest, since digests take less room in my mailbox,
because i certainly couldn't bear unsubbing from this list. And Yahoo
lists i just set to "read on web only".

I reset some lists after i got back.

But ultimately i found the SCA-Cooks Digest easy to scan through, so
i've kept it that way. I can see at a glance if the Subject line
doesn't match the content, and scroll onto the next message. As
individual messages i'd have to open each individually - and i might
skip over messages whose subject line proclaimed a topic i didn't
care about, but might have morphed into something i really DID care
about.

Not as easy to save messages out of the list in my various SCA food
folders. But i manage.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita