[Sca-cooks] Timing with Paternoster's

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 07:05:12 PST 2009

The other night while going through a 15th century painting manual
looking for information about brush making, I was skimping through the
receipts for preparing various pigments, through the washing
straining, grinding, etc I noted two instances of using the
paternoster to time a holding period.  In one recipe it was for the
length of one paternoster, the other it was ten.  The manuscript was
written in Italian/Latin and the book I was looking at included the
original as well as the English translation.  It is available through
google books, Mrs Merrifield the author, and of course, I'm at work
and the copy I've saved is at home and I'm drawing a blank on the
exact title, except it has to do with Treatises on the Art of
Painting, volume II.  I know that I found it doing a search for books
on oil painting.

these two mentions were within the first fifty pages of the pdf file.
I wasn't going too in depth at the time, so there may be more
mentions, and when I get a chance to print it out I'll look for more,
if anyone is interested.

alex

--
So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with…