[Sca-cooks] Origins of kesra and khobz

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Feb 17 15:03:06 PST 2009

If you look in the Anonymous Andalusian cookbook, you'll find recipes for
Qursa and Khubaiz.  I am given to understand that the words refer to small
loaves of bread.  Modernly, ksra refers to a small loaf of raised bread
while khobz may be leavened or unleavened.  While most modern recipes call
for yeast, a sourdough leaven would likely be more correct prior to the
late-19th or early-20th Centuries.  The Khubaiz of the Anonymous Andalusian
cookbook is closer to the Khobz Tunisian, an Algerian dessert bread, than to
the leavened khobz recipes.

Bear