[Sca-cooks] ginger candies

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 08:14:24 PST 2009

I assume the Indonesian ginger candy being talked about is teng teng jahe (that's JAH-hey). I have a bag in my kitchen. I used to eat it when i lived in Indonesia.

I love the original wrappers, which have blue and white checks at the twisty ends, and a little rabbit running in the center. Clearly Chinese in origin, since i never saw or heard of an indigenous Indonesian rabbit or hare when i lived in Indonesian.

Now, if only i could get jeruk nipis in the US - it's a particular Indonesian type of citrus that's sort of a cross in flavor and color between a lemon and a lime, but not as sour. Fortunately i *can* get sweetened calamansi juice - that's a particular Filipino type of citrus that's sort of a cross in flavor and color between a mandarin, a lemon, and a lime. Both have green skin.
--
Mutiarawati
(sometimes called Urtatim