[Sca-cooks] Which kind of onions in an onion tart

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Feb 23 13:02:46 PST 2009

How this question is answered depends on why you ask the question.  If you
are talking about the cooking properties, I'd go with a local yellow and be
done with it.  They are usually less expensive and they sweeten as they
carmelize.

If you are trying for historical accuracy, then it would depend upon the
cuisine and the period of the feast.  Dioscorides (1st Century) describes
onions as being long or round, white or yellow.  In 13th Century Germany,
onions were medical exotics not included in Albertus Magnus's garden list,
although he did have garlic and leeks.  By the mid-16th Century, the red
onion shows up in the writings of Amatus Lusitanus, a Portuguese physician.

Bear