[Sca-cooks] kasha/groats bread from estrella siege

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Feb 24 09:38:36 PST 2009

to those interested, here is cedric's groats/kasa bread
recipe and process.
cailte

I am not sure why someone would want this bread recipe, as
I considered this one a failure.  But...  This was
basically a modification of a peasant bread that I make,
using buckwheat.

1.5 cups of buckwheat, ground by hand into flour.  Some
small kernals remained
1.5 cups of flour, not sure of the type of white flower we
had.  I expect general purpose.
1+ cup warm water
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp caraway
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp cumin

Place yeast in cup of warm water for 10 min or until yeast
building.  Mix all other ingredients except salt in dough
bowl.  Add yeast water and slowly mix. I add the salt
slowly as I mixed.  I added a little more water as I went
until I had made the dough smooth and kneaded.  Then let
rise until you can't wait any longer or it gets 1.5 times
original size.  Punch down and then let rise for another
30 minutes on round baking stone.  (Bake at roughly 375
for 30 (or so) minutes)

Now, the things that I would change.  First I have
contemplated soaking the buckwheat first before grinding,
since i have never worked with buckwheat I am not sure how
this would work.  But I would try.  Second, the bread rise
was not what I expected, I think the gluten was low in
what we had and as I add the salt later in the recipe, I
don't think it reacted well with the yeast as needed to
form a good rise.  I would have prefered a larger rise.
 Also, the brick oven I used, the temperature is not
something you can control easily, so I started the baking
around 400 degrees and as the temperature loss occured, I
rotated the bread and even moved it to the front to give
it a longer bake time.  So basically, I played in the oven
for awhile.  And the cumin, for me it was a little too
much, but others thought it was good.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico