[Sca-cooks] Allspice

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 20:59:09 PST 2009

> Okay I confess to confusion- is Allspice a single botanical product or a
> blend of many (all-Spice)?

Single botanical source, the seed of a New World tree that -- according to sources I just referenced in a short online search, reproduced from memory here -- was "discovered" by Columbus and promptly misidentified as black pepper.  Two seeds are present in the fruit that is harvested.  European over-harvesting almost obliterated all of the wild trees; the Jamaican wild trees appear to be attributed to the good graces of bats spreading the seeds.

The allspice name refers to the nature, which is to the human senses like a blend of other (Old World) spices.

 Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at gmail.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen