[Sca-cooks] Johnnae's Great Cake/fruit cake article

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 00:55:29 PST 2009

Johnnae said:
<<< MWBoC has this one-- pounds of currants and eggs and ale barm.

S 151 TO MAKE A *GREAT* *CAKE*

Take a peck of flower & put to it 10 eggs beaten; take out 3 of ye
whites. Put in nutmeg, cinnamond, cloves, & mace, of each a quarter of
an ounce; A full quart of Ale barme, & mingle with ye flower two pound
of fresh butter. When it
allmoste kneaded, put in 6 spoonfulls of hot water to it, & 10 pounds of
currans, & halfe a pound of sugar beaten. Let it ly by ye fire to rise,
& then bake it.

*Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery*. pp.315

This would be Tudor-Jacobean. My version of the recipe is in the
Florilegium. >>>

I didn't at first draw the connection between "Great Cakes" and
"fruitcakes" and perhaps others had the same problem or had trouble
finding Johnnae's article. It is in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the
Florilegium as:

Great-Cake-art     (8K)  6/ 1/08    "A Great Cake from the Rose
Tourney" by
                                        Johnnae llyn Lewis.

I'll try to make sure this file is pointed to or linked to in the
upcoming fruitcakes-msg file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas