[Sca-cooks] Celebrating Lent

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Wed Feb 25 13:55:54 PST 2009

Dear Stefan of the many questions,

You asked:
	So is this progressive? ie: Does this include both corn and white
	sugar this year?

	You specifically said "white sugar". Does this mean that you are not

	excluding brown sugars? or do you really mean something like "table

	sugar" or "sugar" rather than "white sugar"?
	Stefan

While I always try to avoid as much High Fructose Corn Syrup as I can, to
answer your question, no, it isn't cumulative.  Just sugar this time around.

And I didn't mean to designate it by the color, I should have said Cane
Sugar perhaps.  Brown sugar is still cane sugar, as is evaporated cane
juice, which is in so many 'natural' products.  Part of this process is to
keep me in the practice of reading labels.  As I am a habitual label reader
this seems odd, but I do tend to find brands of things I like and quit
reading the labels, just grab and go.  It is good to have to go back and
reexamine things periodically.

And as for the questions about 'celebrating' a fast, Webster's says:
Celebrate
1. To extol or honor in a solemn manner; as, to celebrate the
      name of the Most High.
   2. To honor by solemn rites, by ceremonies of joy and
      respect, or by refraining from ordinary business; to
      observe duly; to keep; as, to celebrate a birthday.
   3. To perform or participate in, as a sacrament or solemn
      rite; to solemnize; to perform with appropriate rites; as,
      to celebrate a marriage.

We celebrate by demonstrations of joy or solemnity or by appropriate
ceremonies; as, to celebrate the birthday of our Independence.

	So by observing, we are celebrating, just not necessarily having
fun.

Christianna