[Sca-cooks] OT: Do we need cold-food recipes for Drakey and Co.?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Feb 5 16:17:27 PST 2009

I heard on NPR this am that certain areas of Australia were also
suffering from floods
which was leading to reports like this:
Residents in northern Australia have been warned to beware large
crocodiles and snakes as floods sweep the area.

Three sightings of a large crocodile have been reported near Normanton,
Queensland.

Officials suggested the floods have swept the animals out of rivers and
into urban areas.

About two-thirds of the state has been declared a disaster zone, 17
rivers are in flood and scores of homes inundated and there is havoc on
many roads.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=akCKfgxaL9Hg&refer=australia

So maybe cold drinks and recipes for crocs and large snakes too.

Johnnae

> Hullo, the list! snipped
> So, I was already in a Drakey state of mind when I came back inside,
> to find waiting for me photos sent me by a friend, who has relatives
> in Adelaide, where it is expected to go up to 92F, 33C, and where a
> koala had just strolled up to a family's back porch, looking for a
> drink, and when presented with a pail of cool water, dove right in.
> So, who's got recipes for a nice chilled fruit or cucumber soup, maybe
> a cold poached fish in a vinegar sauce? My current project seems to be
> centering on joutes with boiled bacon, which is probably more
> appropriate for here...
>
> Adamantius
drinks and served-cold and no-cook recipes is actually the theme for the
local (Melbourne) Cooks' Guild meeting tomorrow, so this is very timely
for me!
All suggestions appreciated. You know it's hot when the koalas start
looking for a drink - usually they pretty much don't drink at all,
getting all their moisture from leaves.

I was in Adelaide last week, and it was nearly 46degC (115degF). Melbourne only got 45degC...

Margaret/Emma
Melbourne, Australia/Krae Glas, Lochac