[Sca-cooks] OT: Do we need cold-food recipes for Drakey and Co.?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 19:23:49 PST 2009

Margaret/Emma in Melbourne, Australia/Krae Glas, Lochac wrote:
> drinks and served-cold and no-cook recipes is actually the theme for the local
> (Melbourne) Cooks' Guild meeting tomorrow, so this is very timely for me! All
> suggestions appreciated.
>
> You know it's hot when the koalas start looking for a drink - usually they pretty
> much don't drink at all, getting all their moisture from leaves.
>
> I was in Adelaide last week, and it was nearly 46degC (115degF). Melbourne only
> got 45degC...

And Drakey responded:
> Cold food be damnned... Shoot me, shoot me now...
> 43 (109.4) today
> 41 (105.8) tomorrow with high winds (think BBQ chicken oven :) )
> I want to die :)

Well, speaking of cold food and of chicken...

i have a number of recipes served cold, although some require a little cooking, at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/2007_Feasts/Pennsic36_West_Feast.htm
including:
-- Bazmâwurd (lit. "Feast Opener") cold chicken roll-up sandwiches
-- Zaitun Mubakhkhar = Smoked Spiced Olives
-- Andalusian Stuffed Eggs
-- Shîrâz bi-Buqal = fresh cheese with herbs
-- Sals Abyad (lit. "White Sauce")
Serve with Lavash (like period bread ruqaq)
-- Jazr = Spiced Carrots (these are cooked but don't require a lot of cooking and can be served cold)

And non-period but somewhat peri-oid:
-- Oranges with orange flower water, rosewater, and cinnamon
-- Watermelon with fresh mint and lime juice

And i have two period cold chicken salads at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/Misc_ME_Food/barida.html

I mention the chicken "sandwiches" and chicken salads, because you don't have to cook if you can buy already roasted chicken at the market...
--
Urtatim (that's urr-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita