[Sca-cooks] Coriander Juice???

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 6 14:21:25 PST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Thanks...I found that reference.  I guess part of my problem is
> figuring out
> how to juice leaves without purchasing a veggie juicer...which I
> really
> can't afford right now.  I also will need mint and onion
> juice...same idea!
> So I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  But thanks for your response!

If you need it for any purpose other than as a flavoring, the
technique is a little different. Part of my mise en place at Bouley
involved lots of a rather thin parsley puree, essentially the kind of
bright green stuff in squirty bottles so beloved of chefs in the 90's.

I'm not sure if it works with mint, but you can take cilantro and deal
with it approximately like flat parsley: get a bunch or two, or more,
hold it by the stem end, dunk it into salted, boiling water until it
turns a brighter green and wilts slightly, then plunge it into ice
water for  few minutes, until it's good and cold.

Drain, puree in a blender, and strain the juice out through cheesecloth.

If, OTOH, it's a small quantity and it is not for some cosmetic
purpose, you can skip the blanching and just puree or chop finely,
then strain/squeeze through cheesecloth.

Come to think of it, I recall parsley juice in smaller quantities
being sort of a by-product in chopping fines herbes; the mixture
lasted longer without turning black when the chopped parsley had its
juice squeezed out. Probably it also had less flavor, but I guess most
of life is making choices like this...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter