[Sca-cooks] cubeb question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 19:07:30 PST 2009

Margaret said about cubebs:

<<< It's a member of the Piper genus, so I'd expect to use cubeb
anywhere you'd
use pepper -- I believe it's part of various powder forte mixtures
(although I couldn't cite one off the top of my head). >>>

  From the spice-mixes-msg file in the Florilegium:

Strong Black Spice Powder

1/4 oz ground cloves
2 whole nutmeg, ground
4 oz ground black pepper
2 oz cubebs, ground
2 oz grains of paradise, ground
------
Anahita
=========
 >Powder fort is a spice mixture mentioned in various period recipes;
we have not yet been able to find a description of what spices
it contains.<

The Pepperer's Guild sells it at their site.  The
"Traveling Dysshes, etc" cookbook by Siobhan Medhbh
O'Roarke and Cordelia Toser lists their combination as:

1/2 tsp fresh ginger
1/2 t fresh nutmeg
1/2 t mace powder
1 t finely ground black pepper
1/2 t ground grains of paradise
1/2 t cubeb, ground
-------
Lady Johanna
========
Powder douce: 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp. ground cloves, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon,
2 tsp. ground ginger, 1 Tbs. ground cubebs (opt.), 2 tsp. ground
galingal
(opt.), 1 Tbs. grains of Paradise (opt.)

Korrin S. DaArdain

Doing a search with the search engine on the top page of the
Florilegium turns up a number of recipes that include cubebs.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com