[Sca-cooks] How do you answer such a question

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 03:03:58 PST 2009

First off, Stefan, let me say this.  The service that you do helps the Knowne Worlde so enormously that the BoD itself should be giving you awards for all the work you do on the Florilegium.  It is a enormous task you have been doing all these years in gleaning information from tons of e-mail lists and helping the people of the SCA [and even those who aren't in the SCA] with their research.  I am very surprised that the Kings of Ansteorra haven't noticed all that you do and how much you have increased the reputation of Ansteorra and gained respect for your kingdom.

As to your question, yes, there have been several very serious answers already given, mine would have been more on the humorous side, to whit:

"Your Majesty.  As you should well know, the plague that has struck all of our Barony's minions and serfs has decimated all of our workers in that they have either fled the Barony to avoid contagion, or they are very ill.  Because of this and because of your visit to our lands, we have had to volunteer to help Their Excellencies with the cooking and cleaning, so that Your Majesties would have food worthy for you to eat that was cooked in clean pots and pans so that Your Majesties would enjoy your visit to our lands and give Their Excellencies all the honor that They deserve.  Your Majesty.  I am just a humble woman and it is my privilege to serve you in whatever fashion that I can.  The scullery isn't my favorite place, but I am willing to make the sacrifice of excluding myself from Your Presence in order to do such work, knowing that you will eat clean, healthy, nutrious foods because of my efforts.  Being able to serve you thusly is a privilege for
 me."

Huette