[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium article for February

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 22:01:58 PST 2009

Greetings to the Gentles of the SCA-Cooks list,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February, detailing what
is new in the Florilegium this month.

I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are
already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to
find out when new and updated files as well as new features as they
get added to the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real
Simple Syndication, is a method built into many web browsers as well
as being available as a separate tool, which lets you find out when
the contents of your favorite websites has been updated or changed.
You can find out more about RSS at this link as well as elsewhere:
http://rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrss.html

Like much of the economy, web advertising revenue is down. If you see
an ad on the Florilegium that is even a little interesting to you,
please click on it. Even if you don't buy anything, each click brings
in a miniscule amount of money to the Florilegium and helps me keep
this site online.

If you are going to Gulf Wars this year, please drop by the Barony of
Bryn Gwlad camp and say hi. I will also be teaching two sessions of
my hands-on pewter casting class and my class on the Florilegium, so
you can also find me on Artisan's Row or in the class tents.

Thanks,
    Stefan
-------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the BVERAGES sction:
    13thC-Mead-art       "Mead, using a 13th/14th century English
                            manuscript" by Master Rhys Terafan
Greydragon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/13thC-Mead-art.html
In the CRAFTS section:
    Mk-Vik-Brooch-art    "Making a Simple Viking Ring Brooch" by HL
HRothgar
Thorsson.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Mk-Vik-Brooch-art.html
In the EDUCAYION section:
    Teaching-SCA-art     "Teaching in the SCA" by Mistress Alicia
Langland.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/EDUCATION/Teaching-SCA-art.html
In the FOOD section:
    Redacting-Rec-art    "Take a Quayle, and Sle Him - A Beginner's
                            Guide to Redacting Medieval Recipes"
                            by Mistress Euriol of Lothian, O.P.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Redacting-Rec-art.html
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
    Caliphs-Ktchn-rev    Review by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis of "Annals
                            of the Caliphs' Kitchens".
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/Caliphs-Ktchn-rev.html
    fd-n-Shkspear-msg    Mentions of food in Shakespeare's works.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/fd-n-Shkspear-msg.html
In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
    fd-Bohemia-msg       Food of medieval Bohemia.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Bohemia-msg.html
    fd-Romania-msg       Food of medieval Romania. References.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Romania-msg.html
In the PENNSIC section:
    State-Dinner-art     How to hold a "State Dinner at Pennsic" by
                            Dame Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/State-Dinner-art.html
In the PERIOD-THOUGHT section:
    9-Mirors-Rmce-art    "The Nine Mirrors of Romance" by Charles Upton.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERIOD-THOUGHT/9-Mirors-Rmce-art.html
In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
    Aprentces-SCA-art    "Apprentices" by Master Rhys Terafan
Greydragon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/Aprentces-SCA-art.html

Here are the updated files for this month.
    AS-compet-msg        A&S Competitions. Example rules and comments
                            on judging them.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/AS-compet-msg.html
    biscotti-msg         Period biscotti, a twice-baked travel bread.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/biscotti-msg.html
    carbonadoes-msg      Broiling meat on a gridiron previously
                            slashed to increase the cooking speed.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/carbonadoes-msg.html
    dates-msg            Period date fruits. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/dates-msg.html
    demos-msg            SCA demos for education and recruitment.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-EVENT-PLANNING/demos-msg.html
    fasts-msg            Fasts and fastdays. Food restrictions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/fasts-msg.html
    fd-in-Chaucer-msg    Mentions of food in Chaucer's writings.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/fd-in-Chaucer-msg.html
    fresh-cheeses-msg    Fresh cheeses such as cream cheese and
                            cottage cheese. Non-aged cheeses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/fresh-cheeses-msg.html
    p-cooks-msg          Comments on specific period cooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/p-cooks-msg.html
    teenagers-msg        Period and SCA teenagers. SCA activities.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/teenagers-msg.html
    tourn-ideas-msg      Ideas for SCA tournaments.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/tourn-ideas-msg.html
---
Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas