[Sca-cooks] OP Modern cookies question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 22 15:02:37 PST 2009

On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> I just started playing with a "Winnie the Pooh Cookie Cookbook" that
> I have
> had for years and never made anything out of.  My son is now of an
> age to
> really like Pooh so it seemed like a good time to get it out.

Does every recipe begin with, "Have the nurse prepare such-and-such
while you're not around"? Sorry, I have Milne issues; I'm sure it's a
fine book.

> Two questions:
> 1.  Some of the cookies are referred to as "madeleines" and are to
> be baked
> in "madeleine tins".  What is this device?

As stated elsewhere, it's a sort of mold for baking cakes made from a
spongecake-type batter in a particular shape. They are also the cakes
featured in Marcel Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past".

> 2. Several of the cookies call for finely chopped crystalized
> ginger.  I've
> heard it discussed here on the list, but I can't remember if anyone
> said where
> you can purchase it - I certainly don't remember seeing it in the
> spice
> section at the grocery store.

I've seen it in large stores with a section for baking ingredients
(I'm assuming someone mentioned the King Arthur catalog folks), but if
you can find the kind of shop that sells dried fruit in bulk by
weight, they'll often also carry candied citron, lemon and/or mixed
peel for baking, and candied ginger.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter