[Sca-cooks] "Zakuska" table

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 06:36:24 PST 2009

I should also mention (now that I am not on a hand-held device) that while
the term itself came into use "out of period" the idea of a Zakuska table is
quite old.

When visitors arrived it was always customary - even in the poorest families
to welcome them with bread and salt.  That hospitality morphed into
providing other items to taste.

This eventually became elaborate meals before the meal.  I'm not sure how
they managed to keep eating but I'm guessing that without
TV/DVD/PlayStations, etc. they had much more time to devote to eating and
visiting.

I agree that the beverages were/are vodka, coffee and tea.  Also, Kvas - a
lightly fermented drink originally made with leftover bread.

Yes - we referred to it as a Russian smorgasbord as well as Russian Tapas.

I was surprised by how many people enjoyed the pickled tongue!  I grew up
with it as a child but I was sure I'd be able to take most of it home
(nope!)

I love making (as my family would say) "cute food" so I was in my glory with
the Zakuska table.

Oh, and for the caviar we served - we went totally anachronistic and used
"Cavi-Art" a vegan caviar - it was just for affect and it is surprisingly
"okay" and costs a heck of a lot less!

-S