[Sca-cooks] Which kind of onions in an onion tart

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 10:18:27 PST 2009

Regular old yellow onions are just fine.  They caramelize up a treat
when sauteed and that's what you want. And they are economical.  "Maui
Onions"?  Newp, Maui has not been discovered by Europeans yet, and the
best virtue of sweet onions is when they are raw anyway.

I do like leeks in this sort of  dish as well.  It's a somewhat
different flavor though.  The leek, a nice spring shoot, should be in
season by the time of this feast.

Cheers,
Selene