[Sca-cooks] waffles vs. pancakes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 23:47:20 PST 2009

Talking about Shrove Tuesday meals, Maire said:
<<< I'm having waffles for breakfast...that's about as close as I can
get, with
my diet and my budget. >>>

So why does your diet or budget say waffles instead of pancakes? I
thought the ingredients for both were fairly similar. And while
pancakes can be made on a simple griddle or in a frying pan, waffles
require a special iron.

I got a waffle iron for a Christmas present from my Mom similar to
what we had when I was growing up, but I've yet to try making waffle
batter from scratch and cook with it. I think both pancake and waffle
mixes can be bought in the store, as well as frozen waffles. I much
prefer the home made ones even when they've been frozen and re-warmed
and toasted in the toaster for later breakfasts.  My other problem is
that I shouldn't use the regular syrups, because of my diabetes, and
haven't found a diet syrup which didn't taste of the cheaper sugar
substitutes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas