[Sca-cooks] chemical leavening

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Feb 26 06:00:06 PST 2009

I came across this description last evening:

The horns of the deer, or Hartshorn, have been medical from time
immemorial. The shavings or raspings, boiled for a long time in water,
produce a considerable proportion of Hartshorn-Jelly, which is of a
nourishing quality. By distillation, an ammoniacal liquor is procured,
which, freed from its oil and rendered limpid by successive
distillations, is commonly called Spirit Of Hartshorn. It is a Carbonate
of Ammonia dissolved in water which, when saturated, deposits the
Carbonate in the form of a salt usually termed Salt Of Hartshorn, or
Volatile Salts. By continuing the heat, the Hartshorn is calcined and
wholly converted into Phosphate of Lime, which is ground into a white
powder, and, in various mixtures, is prescribed as a medicine. These
different preparations are also made with common bones, which, unless in
their containing a less proportion of gelatine, do not differ in their
constituent principles from Hartshorn.

An Analytical Dictionary of the English Language, in which the Words are
Explained in the Order of Their Natural Affinity, Independent of
Alphabetical Arrangement ...By David Booth

Published by Simpkin, Marshall, 1836

Johnnae