[Sca-cooks] Sauce made with blood

Lisa Sawyer ysabeau.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:54:07 PST 2009

I don't know how period it is but growing up the Polish side of my family
would make Blood or Black Soup. I looked it up and it seems to have been
called Czernina.

My memories of it were sort of traumatic :) I remember my dad cutting the
head off the duck and losing his grip...the headless duck "chasing"  me at
five-years-old around the yard with blood spurting out. Needless to say, I
never developed a taste for the soup.

I tried it again when I visited Poland as an adult. It was interesting but
nothing that made me go Wow! It didn't even look appetizing being a murky
black color.

Returning to lurk mode,
Ysabeau