[Sca-cooks] bread pudding

Euriol of Lothian euriol at ptd.net
Fri Feb 6 05:02:49 PST 2009

Here is the information I have on the book:

Grewe Rudolf and Hieatt Constance B.Libellus de arte coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book [Book]. - Tempe : Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, 2001. - p. 158. - A critical edition and translation of 13th century Germanic recipes based on four extant manuscripts written in Danish, Icelandic and Low German. - ISBN 0-86698-264-7.

The book contains the text from the four manuscripts and an English Translation. It does seem this Harpstrang cookbook maybe one of these four manuscripts

Original Recipe:
Recipe XVI
Quomodo temperetur cibus qui vocatur hwit moos.
Man skal takæ søt miælk, oc wæl writhet hwetebrøth oc slaghnæ æg, oc wæl writhæt safran, oc latæ thæt wællæ til thæt warthær thiuct. Sithen latæ thæt up a dysk oc kastæ I smør, oc strø a pulvær af kaniæl. Thæt hetær hwitmoos.

English Translation:
Recipe  XVI
How to prepare a dish called White Mush.
One should take fresh milk, and well crushed wheat bread and a beaten egg and well ground saffron, and let it cook until it becomes thick. Then place it on a dish, and add butter, and sprinkle on powdered cinnamon. It is called “White Mush.”
Redaction:
2 cups milk
.25 cups butter
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
.5 cups table sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (rounded)
.25 tsp salt
8 slices bread
red sugar sprinkles

Take milk and butter put them into a sauce pan. Cook on medium heat until butter has melted. Take beaten eggs and add the sugar, cinnamon, and salt to them, mix well. Dice the bread slices. Then fold the bread slices into the egg and spice mixture. Mix the egg mixture and the milk mixture in a casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. After baking is finished take the red sprinkles and sprinkle across the top of the pudding crust.

Now I did add sugar to this recipe because I was looking to serve a sweet dish. The red sugar sprinkles on top was just to try to make it look a little more festive.

Euriol