[Sca-cooks] Period Portable Lunch Foods

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 12:37:45 PST 2009

I thought all meat was gluten-free?
Margaret/Emma

Yes, but wrapping the meat in a pastry crust is not.
I do not miss bread so much, in fact I have pretty much lost my taste for it
(but not for the smell of it baking!) as it tends to have a gluey mouth-feel
to me now.  However, bread has several functions that are hard to beat,
wrapping foods up in it, making a crispy coating, mopping up the juices and
gravy on your plate, etc.  Gluten-free substitutes have come a long way, but
don't quite fill the bill in all cases.  We often find that going to other
ethnic cultures gives us better possibilities.  For example, I like the idea
of a lettuce leaf wrap better than a
gluten-free-substitute-bread-like-product.  Yucca makes a pretty good outer
coating to be deep fried.  (There is this Mexican place in town that makes
what we call Meat Twinkies - Yucca Rellenos stuffed with ground meat and
fried - yum!)
Ironically, New World foods are a rich source of gluten-free grains - corn,
quinoa, amaranth, plus tapioca, yucca, potato, etc.  It is the Old World
grains like oats, barley, wheat, and rye that are the glutinous ones.  And
of course, we eat a lot of rice!
Christianna