[Sca-cooks] OOP New Toy Acquisition, was, Re: What to do with 55 egg whites?

Carol Smith eskesmith at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 7 18:58:29 PST 2009

While Phil is waxing eloquent about his new Robot Coupe R2, I'm going to mention my 5-lb Italian sausage press, which we used at a workshop earlier today.  No, not the bangers, which Master A turned out single-handedly using a very thin pipe on a kitchen aid, but one very finely ground sausage, and Baron Alexandre's variant on an Apicius recipe.  I kind of tortured him; it's so easy to make sausage when you have the proper equipment, and kitchen aid doesn't do it.  There's more waste with the long tube on the press, but it's more than made up for in the less time it takes to fill the casings.  And it's much neater than the kitchen aid, too.

To be fair, it doesn't grind the meat at all, let alone compare to the Kitchen Aids.  On the other hand, in my opinion, that's what butchers are for.  Just get the meat coarsely ground, add spices and liquid, mix well, refigerate overnight, and you're ready to go.  I just might suggest it to his wife, as a gift...

BWAHAHA!

Regards,
Brekke> From: adamantius1 at verizon.net> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 10:52:14 -0500> Subject: [Sca-cooks] OOP New Toy Acquisition, was, Re: What to do with 55 egg whites?> > > On Feb 7, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:> > > If she has the heavy duty mixer,> > Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! You just reminded me! I finally broke down and > bought on eBay something I've been lusting after for years and years: > a gently used (6 months in a sandwich shop chopping onions and celery > for tuna salad every other day -- the foodservice equivalent of the > Little Old Lady From Pasadena Driving To Church On Sundays -- no > wonder they went out of business!) Robot Coupe R2. The Mother of All > Food Processors. Approximately half of list price.> > It's got more than twice the horsepower of the typical home Cuisinart > (the original Cuisinart was based on Robot Coupe designs, then > manufactured by Robot Coupe in a peculiarly incestuous relationship > between them and the inventor, each essentially having the other by > the legal short hairs). It looks rather like a Cuisinart, except it > appears to have a little bitty one-cup bowl on top, and then you > realize it's the same bowl, more or less, as on the twelve-cup > Cuisinart, and it's the motor housing that's gi-normous. Mine comes > with said bowl, the standard propeller blade, and a shredding disk, > plus a continuous-feed chute/ejector-nozzle thingy (think of a giant > Salad Shooter) to go with the shredder disk. More blades and disks are > available, and for the truly psychotic, heavy-duty opaque plastic, and > even stainless steel, versions of the bowl.> > Of course, it will arrive _after_ I've turned out the eight or ten > pounds of English banger filling, which it would have done in about > one minute... as currently configured, it's probably no good for > beating egg whites, but I suspect there's an attachment available.> > Adamantius> > > > > > > "Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, > when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's > bellies."> -- Rabbi Israel Salanter> > _______________________________________________> Sca-cooks mailing list> Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org