[Sca-cooks] Forms of address

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 11 08:30:11 PST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Michael Gunter wrote:

>> As an example of a legitimate period form of address for our Kings
>> > that might underscore Lady Dame Selene's point, I submit: "My
>> lord > King"...
> I prefer to be called "Your Grace" as King. "Majesty" didn't come
> about
> until Henry VIII who didn't want to be called the same as a Bishop.

Or maybe he didn't want Bishops being called the same as him, which,
given his issues with the Church, might be understandable.

> Sometimes when dealing formally with Landeds I'll call them by the
> Baronial
> name, which is period as well. So instead of Baroness Katheryn
> Cunningham
> I might refer to her as simply "Steppes".

Makes sense. Our current Viceroy refers to himself as Alexandre,
Østgar∂r, and I believe he's not just adding his location for online
comprehension's sake.

> Speaking totally correctly her title would be "Lady Katheryn
> Cunningham,
> Baroness of the Steppes".

Agreed. But I suspect there was a good deal more fluidity of practice
in period than we tend to apply in the SCA.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter