[Sca-cooks] Soup and eggs question

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 15:32:58 PST 2009

This is one of the two I found. the other I am looking at is at home (I'm at work) on that computer. :-)

But, this should give you an idea of what I m looking at.

>From le Menagier de Paris by way of the Miscellany:

?

Green Broth of Eggs and Cheese

Menagier p. M-22

?

Take parsley and a little cheese and sage and a very small amount of

saffron, moistened bread, and mix with water left from cooking peas, or

stock, grind and strain: And have ground ginger mixed with wine, and put on

to boil; then add cheese and eggs poached in water, and let it be a bright

green. Item, some do not add bread, but instead of bread use bacon. [end of

original]

?

3 T parsley

1/2 oz cheese, grated

3 small leaves fresh sage

5 threads saffron

2 thin slices = 1.5 oz white bread (or bacon)

2 c pea stock or dilute chicken stock

1/8 t ginger

1 T white wine

1 3/4 oz cheese, grated

3 eggs

?

Soak bread in stock (either water left from cooking peas or 1/2 c canned

chicken broth + 1 1/2 c water). Grind parsley, sage, and saffron in a

mortar thoroughly; add 1/2 oz cheese and soaked bread and grind together.

Strain through a strainer; if necessary, put back in mortar what didn't go

through, grind again, and strain again. Mix wine and ginger, add to

mixture, and bring to a boil over moderate heat; be careful that it does

not stick to the bottom. Stir in the rest of the cheese; break eggs into

soup, and continue to simmer until eggs are poached.

The lady who posted this was/is named Elizabeth. As I said, I am looking, poking, asking questions...I freely admit, I have much to learn. ;-) Therefore, I lurk.

Helen
No matter how old you are, there is always more to learn. That makes life fun!