[Sca-cooks] Herb? Spice? Other?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 11 18:21:32 PST 2009

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo wrote:
> Well, that looks like my classifications from Wikipedia, so I think it's
> accurate :-)

Probably is my paraphrase of your work. I've been updating the Wikipedia culinary herb and spice page. I got rid of most of the purely medicinal items and added in botanical names. And i have some quibbles with some sources that include nuts and pickled capers as spices...

> I'd be OK with adding flowers to the list, if I knew of any flowers used
> specifically as culinary spices.

Well, lavender is frequently used as a seasoning in savory dishes in the so-called anonymous Andalusian cookbook. And roses show up a lot in medieval recipes all over the place. Both are used like spices, but i'm not quite sure if they should be so classified.

--
Urtatim (that's urr-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita