[Sca-cooks] Meat/Bread to make ahead

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 15:19:35 PST 2009

> Ideas? I don't fancy taking a pie or tart - I want grab and go, and
> something I can make at home after dinner tomorrow, cool, slice, and pack
> for transport. Just my brain is failing me for things other than stromboli.
> Only allergies to worry about are shrimp and walnuts....
>
> THANKS!!!
>
> Ilsebet

Saluti,

This is kind of long - so those who are not interested, Move along ;).
The following recipe is one of the conjectural dishes that I developed
for a 12th Century feast in Normal Sicily. You said stromboli and this
is what it made me think of.

Chicken Pasteda: inspired by combining traditional Sicilian Bread Pies
found in Pomp and Sustenance, several enclosed meat dishes from
Medieval Arab Cookery and suggestions on cookery from Anthimus.
		1 1/2 lbs chicken, 1 each breast, leg and thigh
		1 Bay Leaf
		8 Peppercorns
		1/2 t Pickling Salt
		1 Pinch Saffron

	Combine above ingredients except chicken with sufficient water and
bring to boil. Add chicken and boil until done, approximately 20
minutes. Remove from water, reserve cooking liquid for later. Allow
chicken to cool then remove skin and meat from bones. Place skin and
meat into a food processor and process until almost a paste. Set aside
in a bowl.
		2 large Leeks
		4 oz Canned Mushrooms
		1 T + 1/2 t Finely Minced Lemon Zest
	Remove the green tops from leeks, quarter, separate and clean them.
Drain the mushrooms. Place a pan on medium heat and coat the bottom
with olive oil. Add the mushrooms and leeks to pan sprinkle lightly
with salt to induce sweat. Sweat covered until limp and then allow to
brown slightly. Deglaze pan with small amounts of chicken cooking
liquid to avoid burning. Once vegetables are limp add lemon zest and
allow to cook for a couple of minutes to release oils.

Transfer veggie mixture to food processor and add the following:
		3 oz Blanched Almonds
		1/2 t Kosher Salt
		1/4 t Black Pepper
		3/4 t Dried Marjoram
		1 T Olive Oil
Process until almost a paste and then combine with chicken mixture.
Have 1 lb ball of pizza dough at room temperature. Preheat oven to
350° F. Divide both stuffing and dough into two equal portions.
Working with one half of dough and stuffing at a time; roll out dough
on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle roughly 16 in by 4 in.
Place stuffing down the center of the dough spreading until you have
an even, thin layer of stuffing, leaving 1/3 in of dough free all
around. Take the leading edge of the long side of the dough and roll
until you have achieved a rough log shape. Pinch the ends shut and
place seam side down on a lightly oiled baking pan. Bake in oven for
25 – 30 minutes, or until done. Allow to cool and slice into 1/4 inch
pieces to serve.

I hope this might be helpful.
Ciao,

--