[Sca-cooks] Aftermath of a Visit to an Oriental Market

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 15 07:55:11 PST 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Martin G. Diehl wrote:

> Black fungus (might be called Mo Er);

Mu er is wood or tree ears, the larger, tougher version of black
fungus. When dry, it can be identified by being whitish on one side,
and black on the other. Wun yi, or cloud ears, the smaller, more
tender version, is dark on both sides. Looked to me like cloud ears,
but maybe it's just the photo.

> p.s. one of the packages was upside down ... which one???

I'm assuming the star anise, with its Southern Hemisphere writing and
caricatured depiction of an Asian chef hanging upside-down, doubtless
on some sort of Vision Quest, is the culprit.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter