[Sca-cooks] "Zakuska" table

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Feb 22 21:18:01 PST 2009

> Bear replied to me with:
> <<< What's a "Zakuska" table?
> Stefan >>>
>
> It's a snack table or smorgasbord.  The word derives from the Russian
> verb
> "zakusit'," "to take a small bite."  It's unclear just when the practice
> developed, but I suspect the modern Zakuska table dates from the 18th
> Century when Russia began to embrace European modernity.
>
> Bear
> ----------
>
> So is this more like a buffet? or a sideboard or something else?
>
> Shoshanna sounded like she did one during or in addition to a Russian
> themed feast. So, Shoshanna, was this more like a tasting-table or a
> sideboard? Both of which we've discussed here, or was it something else?
>
> Stefan

A zakuska table can be just about anything you want it to be.  It can be a
buffet, a tasting table or hors d'oeuvres.  It is generally accompanied by
tea, coffee, champagne or vodka.  In formal dining, there is a strict order
in which dishes on the zakuska table are sampled, but I don't remember the
order other than starting with the cold dishes and ending with the hot
dishes (if any).

Bear