[Sca-cooks] candied ginger

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 04:09:33 PST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 12:39 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I can understand why you would want young ginger and ginger which
> has been sitting around so long that it has dried out, but I didn't
> think ginger was a "seasonal" item. Or is it showing up now in the
> NY supermarkets for some other reason, similar to the fruitcake
> ingredients showing up in the late fall in anticipation of customers
> buying them to make fruit cakes for the Yule season?

Do they actually show up only in the late fall? I ask because many
serious fruitcake makers have already made whatever fruitcakes they're
going to make by Thanksgiving at the latest: it takes about a month
for them to fully develop their flavor; two is better.

As for the seasonal nature of the pink-tinged young ginger, as far as
I know it shows up in markets in January and July because those are
when it's harvested in the Southern and Northern hemispheres,
respectively. It's like apples in New York or Pennsylvania in
September or October; it's not timed that way because that's when
people want to make pies.

> I've found candied ginger which is both actual slices of ginger that
> has been candied, and pieces where it appears the ginger has been
> ground or powdered and then mixed with sugar syrup since it doesn't
> have any of the fiber of the other. I prefer the former.

Is it conceivable you simply aren't noticing any fiber, but it's
there? I ask only because baby ginger is a lot less fibrous than the
older stuff (think of the ginger eaten with sushi), and even less
visibly so when cooked in sugar syrup. I suppose it's possible to make
the kind of processed candy you describe, and it would not be
unprecedented in similar practices like the melon cakes that no longer
contain any actual winter melon, just a candy-like goop that formerly
was candied melon, then  a small amount of melon in a gum-like, ultra-
heavy syrup, and now goo with little or no melon.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter