[Sca-cooks] Pancakes and Fruitcakes was Happy Shrove/Fat Tuesday

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 08:22:12 PST 2009

Hi, that actually looks just about PERFECT with all the currants, but isnt it 'post period?'  at least I thought Martha was 1700s...

I realize I did not specify that I was looking for pre 1600, but that is the aim.

Purr
Gwen getting hungry now Cat

---Johnnae wrote---

Depends on how much fruit and what type of cake I suppose in part.
They show up titled as great cakes. Then there are the questions as to:
Mixed fruits? Rising agents being eggs, ale barm, yeast, or baking
powders/sodas???

MWBoC has this one-- pounds of currants and eggs and ale barm.

S 151 TO MAKE A *GREAT* *CAKE*

Take a peck of flower & put to it 10 eggs beaten; take out 3 of ye
whites. Put in nutmeg, cinnamond, cloves, & mace, of each a quarter of
an ounce; A full quart of Ale barme, & mingle with ye flower two pound
of fresh butter. When it
allmoste kneaded, put in 6 spoonfulls of hot water to it, & 10 pounds of
currans, & halfe a pound of sugar beaten. Let it ly by ye fire to rise,
& then bake it.

*Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery*. pp.315

This would be Tudor-Jacobean. My version of the recipe is in the
Florilegium.