[Sca-cooks] Pancakes and Fruitcakes was Happy Shrove/Fat Tuesday

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Feb 24 15:31:06 PST 2009

Depends on just what you mean by fruitcake.  If you take a look at Joris
Hoefnagel's A Wedding Fete at Bermondsey (1570s), you will see four large
brides cakes being displayed.  These are large Banbury cakes filled with
currants and spices and possibly other candied fruit.  A recipe for these
from "The Queen's Closet Open'd" (1655) describes them as being scented with
musk and ambergris.

Bear