[Sca-cooks] chemical leavening

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 25 12:13:12 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 2:28 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> The fact that hartshorn was used in some medicinal recipes does not
> mean that they were used as a leavener.
>
> Huette

And, we also need to be really, really clear, when we speak of
hartshorn (and by "we" I mean our sources, as well), whether we're
referring to hartshorn, the gelatin source, made from powdered horn
and similar to isinglass (the dried sturgeon-swim-bladder gelatin
source, which in turn is _not_ sodium silicate), and not hartshorn,
a.k.a. baker's ammonia, salts of hartshorn, and ammonium carbonate.
Which may or may not be made from actual horns of actual harts, among
other sources.

Oddly enough, I just found an interesting website which essentially
claims that the use of hartshorn salts as a leavening agent have a
linked history to that of the development of baking powder, and that
both are 19th century innovations based on attempts to specifically
create chemical leaveners, whose primary advantage was considered to
be that, unlike yeast, they don't break down and eat up to 3% of the
flour they're leavening.

http://www.electronic-chemicals.basf.com/p02/CAPortal/en_GB/portal/abc_ammoniumcarbonat/content/Abnehmerbranchen_Anwendungen/Lebensmittel_Food/Ammoniumcarbonat/Geschichte

Or maybe some of you better try here:

http://tinyurl.com/bht9j7