[Sca-cooks] Cook's Illustrated

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 2 08:18:51 PST 2009

I like all their gadget testing (not that I need any more of those... :-)),
but sometimes the recipes can bother me.  They have a tendency to decide on
a particular result or style ("like I ate when I was a kid" sort of thing,
sometimes), then play around with it until they get a result that
matches.  Which is fine if you like it the same way they do, but less so if
when *you* were a kid, it was different.  Of course, I can't come up with
any examples off-hand!  I like it better when they talk about avoiding
problems like cracking cheesecake, or describe the differences in cookie
results depending on the sort of flour you use, or determining doneness in
meats.

Sandra