[Sca-cooks] bread pudding

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 00:15:05 PST 2009

Euriol said:
<<< The ones we took directly from the recipes I've done are the
Roasted Pork
(Rumpolt) and Bread Pudding  (Early Northern Cookery Book). >>>

Do you mean from the Harpstrang cookbook?
Harpstrang-cb-msg (37K)  1/31/05    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
oldest
                                        cookbook in the Western
medieval Europe.

I don't think I have too many recipes or redactions from this cookbook.

I think this article in the FOOD section might be of the recipe of
which you speak:
White-Mash-art     (8K) 11/20/99    A white pudding from the
Harpestraeng
                                        manuscript by Elysant de
Holtham.

I'd love to see your bread pudding recipe, whether it is from the
same recipe as one Elysant used or if it is new. I have pasted the
recipe below.

I do have this small file on breadpudding, and would appreciate more
information/recipes for it.
bread-pudding-msg (10K) 12/11/06    Period bread pudding.

Stefan

----------
3.  Icelandic, late 15th century:

"Quomodo temperetur cibus dicitur hwit mos.
Madur skal taka s¾ta miolk ok vel stappat hveiti braud. ok slegit egg
ok vel
malit. S¾fran. ok lata ßat vella alltt saman til ßess verdur ßycktt.
Sidan
lati ßat upp aa disk ok kasti j smiorvi. ßetta heitir hvitinos."

Modern English Translation
(translation by Nanna Ršgnvaldard—ttir - SCA-Cooks list member from
Iceland)

"Take some sweet milk and white bread well mashed, and a beaten egg
(or eggs)
and finely crushed saffron, and mix it and simmer until thickened.
Then pour
into a bowl and add butter.  This is called white mash."

Redaction
Elysant de Holtham (Jean Holtom) 1999

4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups of white bread (crusts removed), and broken into small
pieces.
2 eggs, beaten
2 strands or pinch crushed saffron
Butter
Ground cinnamon

Place the saffron in a small amount of hot water and heat to
boiling.  Put
milk and bread into a saucepan, and combine well.  Add the saffron
and stir
in the beaten egg. Heat mixture to boiling, stirring constantly, then
lower
heat and simmer slowly until it thickens.  To serve, pour a little of
the
mixture into a bowl.  Add a knob of butter and sprinkle with cinnamon
(This
dish is served warm).
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas