[Sca-cooks] tinted ginger

Moramarsh at aol.com Moramarsh at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 12:42:06 PST 2009

In a message dated 2/24/2009 1:52:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
adamantius1 at verizon.net writes:

>  Where does the pink color come from in the sushi ginger? Is it added
> or is the actual ginger root used for this pink in color?

As  far as I know, it's somewhat pinkish on the outer surfaces, and
then  coloring is added to enhance that. I note that the past, oh, five
or  six times I've eaten sushi the pickled ginger seems to have been
made without the pink coloring, so the ginger was mostly sort of cream-
colored, with only the faintest of pink tinges. It may be that the
sushi market is finally catching up with some of the data available  on
some of the red food dyes, but either way, I think it's now a  trend
rather than an isolated  phenomenon.

Adamantius

I read somewhere in an oriental history book that the ginger  was tinted red
(pink) with wine vinegar to bring good luck to you because  the uncooked fish
you just ate might be poisonous.  Kind of like a  good luck charm. The ginger
was given as a gastrointestinal corrective  to  prevent the fermentative and
irritating conditions of the stomach caused by raw  foods with questionable
cleanliness.

Mora
Dragonmarsh
**************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your