[Sca-cooks] Bad Editing: Was panpepati was Pancakes and Fruitcakes

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 25 11:25:54 PST 2009

Greetings!  Johnnae (and someone else?) pointed out that the Duke d'Este
couldn't have served chocolate pampapati in 1465. (Columbus hadn't even
made his first voyage then!)  I'd thought of that at first and then I
got to thinking that the paragraph might have suffered from poor writing
or sloppy editing.  It says:

 > The reference is: ?The Christmas-New Years holidays are marked by the
 > appearance in pastry-shop windows of pampepato di ciccolato, a very
 > old Ferrarese sweet. It is a cake made of flour, cocoa, milk, honey
 > (sugar if honey is not at hand), pepper, spices, almonds, and lemon
 > peel with chocolate frosting powdered with sugar and tiny candies. It
 > is of ancient lineage. Duke Borso d?Este served pampapati at a banquet
 > on November 11, 1465, making them exceptionally appetizing by
 > inserting a gold piece in each."

I think that the comment about the Duke isn't referring to the pampepato
di ciccolato, but that there's a reference to the Duke being served
pampapati.  Because that sentence comes just after the chocolate
reference and description, it would be logical to assume that his
pampapati is the same as the pampetato di ciccolato.  What would have
helped would have been to start a new paragraph with "It is of ancient
lineage" and said something like "There is a reference to 'pampapati' in
an account describing a banquet given by the Duke Borso d'Este on
November 11..."  While that isn't perfect, it would be less likely to
link chocolate and 1465.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming