[Sca-cooks] Gazpacho

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 26 10:46:04 PST 2009

Suey wrote:
> The other night, Luis had a night off and I made gazpacho.
> Peter said it was wonderful, of course he is an ambassador at heart.
> I think it stinks. My ingredients were:
> a slice of stale bread soaked in vinegar
> 750 gr tomatoes
> 3 garlic clove
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> salt
>
> What is missing here??? The tomatoes were first class. Something was
> missing to give it the flavor we know.

I can't know how it usually tastes when you have had it, but i can think of a couple differences with what i've had.

First, the vinegar. What kind of vinegar makes a *huge* difference in flavor. I would recommend sherry vinegar. Lacking that white wine vinegar. Failing that, red wine vinegar. But sherry vinegar is definitely first choice.

Next, i've usually had it with some cucumber and some red and green bell pepper (sweet pepper). Parsley also seems to be a common addition.

Onion also appears in many recipes. This would be a small amount of white or yellow or purple onion. I think shallots would also be good, instead onion.

And i guess most folks would add some freshly ground black pepper.

And for those who like it hot, a modern addition is a little fresh chili added with the other vegetables, or a dash of something like Tabasco sauce, or a pinch or two of cayenne pepper powder.

According to en.wikipedia.org:
"The following is a typical method of preparing gazpacho:
   1. The vegetables are washed and the tomatoes, garlic and onions are peeled.
   2. All the vegetables and herbs are chopped and put into a large container.
   3. The soaked bread is then added.
   4. The contents of the container are then blended until liquid.
   5. The chilled water, olive oil, vinegar and salt is then added to taste.
Traditionally gazpacho is made by pounding the vegetables using a mortar and pestle."

I've made it in a blender. Be careful not to overblend, since the vegetables need to have some texture. And overblended bread is often unpleasantly gummy.

Sometimes a little of each vegetable is set aside, not blended, and after the gazpacho is ready, they are finely chopped and sprinkled in for color and texture.
--
someone sometimes called Urtatim