[Sca-cooks] Newsletter Article Database OT

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:06:07 PDT 2009

This is an off-topic posting, but I hope that I will be forgiven. In
conjunction with a more computer literate friend of mine, we have
developed a database we hope will prove to be useful for the
Chroniclers of the SCA.

Considering the level of artistic endeavor that is contained within
the reach of this list, I believe that there are many among you who
have written articles for your local group's newsletter. Once you have
published that newsletter, the article languishes on your hard drive,
rarely to be seen again. Or, you put it on your own website - and it
is seen occasionally and you receive requests from out of nowhere to
re-publish it (this is what happened to me to spur this idea).

Some of you have probably held the position of Chronicler yourself.
And you know how difficult it can be to find enough quality articles
to fill your newsletter and entertain your readers. In a joint effort
with Lord Lorenzo (he knows how to make this medium behave far better
than I) a resource for both writers and Chroniclers has been
developed. It has been dubbed the Known World Free Press:
http://www.houseofpung.net/freepress/index.php

and we hope it will become a way to make Chronicler's lives easier as
well as provide a greater audience for those who write for their
newsletter.

Simply go to the site and register, Lorenzo created this registration
process so that you only have to enter your personal information
(name, location, titles) once. Once you have a login, then you can
upload articles to your heart's content. And should you, for any
reason, decide to remove your work - that can be done also. Regardless
of how old the article is, if the information within is still
relevant, please feel free to upload. And it doesn't matter if it
already resides somewhere else on the internet, exclusivity is not an
issue. But please post only work that is your own and that you have
rights to.

As you can read on the front page of the site, we have placed all of
the contents under the Creative Commons License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

and all articles placed in this database are done so with the intent
of providing permission for them to be reproduced (with proper
attribution) in SCA newsletters.

The more articles that are in this database, the better the resource
it will be. If you feel this is a worthy project - please feel free to
pass it on to someone (or some list) that might have gentles who wish
to participate, but please avoid spamming. If you have any questions,
please ask them here or send me an email directly - I would be happy
to answer.

Ciao!
Serena da Riva

ps: this is in no way intended to compete with the Floriligeium or any
other established resource. There are many wonderful sites out there,
but none that I know of that specifically caters to the SCA newsletter
in both content and appropriate article length.